With its program for non-matriculating students, the School of Engineering affirms a commitment to providing educational services to the people of New Jersey access to courses on a space availability basis.
Taking courses after graduation: Once all requirements for the B.S. degree are completed, the student must graduate. The graduation date cannot be arbitrarily changed. Only in certain circumstances can the graduation date be extended from fall to spring. If a student would have graduated after the fall semester and can document an academic plan to finish a second major, minor, or Packaging certificate in the spring, the graduation date can be extended from January until May, no further. Students in this situation should send their academic graduation plan to Dean Prendergast. Otherwise, students can take courses after graduating as a non-matriculated student (see eligibility below). As a non-matric, grades do not count in the gpa.
Those eligible to enroll in Engineering courses as a non-degree seeking student include:
- Recent graduates who must take additional undergraduate engineering coursework in preparation for graduate studies or other professional areas (applicants must obtain a letter from the graduate school detailing the courses to be completed).
- Working professionals who require additional training for professional improvement or advancement (applicants must provide a letter from their employer detailing the courses to be completed).
- Students who are matriculated in engineering programs at other colleges or universities who have approval from their home institutions to transfer credits from the Rutgers University School of Engineering
- Students who wish to take only non-engineering classes, see: http://admissions.rutgers.edu/applynow/moreforparttimeandnondegreeapplicants.aspx
- Dismissed students are not eligible for non-matric in fall or spring.
Students who intend to enroll in the School of Engineering as a Transfer Student to complete a bachelor's degree in Engineering are NOT eligible for non-matriculating status.
Students who hold F-1 and J-1 visas are NOT eligible for non-matriculating status and will not be admitted to this program.
Admitted students may enroll either on a full-time basis (12 or more credits) or a part-time basis (fewer than 12 credits) in existing School of Engineering undergraduate courses. Enrollment is contingent on available space. Non-matriculating students will receive college credit for up to 18 credits.
Tuition and Fees
All non-matriculating students are required to pay tuition and student fees, which are the same as those for full and part-time matriculated students. Non-matriculating students are NOT eligible for financial aid.
How to Apply
To apply as a non-matriculating student please send an email to Dean Robert Ciervo at email@example.com detailing the courses for which the student would like to enroll and how the student meets the eligibility requirements as listed above. Please attach any supporting documents such as letters from graduate schools or employers, as well, to the email.
- Applications must be received by August 15 for the fall semester and January 10 for the spring semester.
- Applicants will be notified as soon as possible after the application has been reviewed. Students accepted into the program will receive course enrollment information with their notification, although acceptance into the program does not guarantee space availability in individual courses.
Please direct any questions to
Dean Robert Ciervo (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Office of Academic Services, School of Engineering
98 Brett Road, Engineering B100, Piscataway, NJ 08854
Phone: (848) 445-2212 Fax: (732) 445-4092