*for former SOE students only**
NEW READMISSION POLICIES EFFECTIVE SEPTEMBER 2017
Students who have been dismissed from the School of Engineering (See Notes 1, 2, 3) due to poor academic performance, but are now interested in applying for readmission, must show evidence that their previous circumstances have been addressed:
The primary purpose of readmission is for dismissed students to earn their way back into RU by demonstrating that they have addressed areas of weakness, that they have what it takes to succeed in their intended major, and that they have overcome prior challenges that led them to the dismissal. This is accomplished by choosing an "appropriate" selection of courses, and by completing these courses with grades that meet SOE's readmission criteria (3.0+ without D/F grades). See the Course Requirements Section below.
Secondarily, and concurrently with addressing areas of weakness, students must rebuild their gpa to a level that it is aligned with SOE’s readmission criteria. These gpa criteria are in place in order to provide each student with a reasonable chance for success upon return (See Note 4).
International students who get dismissed have to be admitted immediately for the next semester into a community college or other institution, or they have to return to their home country.
- Note 1: Readmission into your original engineering major (or into an engineering major at all) is not guaranteed. The complete academic record in STEM courses, major GPA, cumulative GPA, and related academic deficiencies are considered by the Scholastic Standing Committee.
- Note 2: If you were dismissed from SOE and readmitted previously, you are no longer eligible for readmission to RU. Example, if last year you were dismissed and took summer classes at RU (or 1-2 semesters at county college), were readmitted, and have been dismissed again, you would no longer be eligible to come back to RU. In this case, you must look outside of Rutgers for your education.
- Note 3: If you were dismissed from SAS, SEBS, etc, you must earn your way back into Rutgers University through your original school. If you left RU in 'good standing' for 1 semester or more, see the Re-enrollment page.
- Note 4: In order to be eligible for readmission, students must be able to reasonably reach a cumulative GPA of 2.0 with a max of 14cr AND must have a certain minimum Rutgers GPA at the time of readmission:
1.600 cumulative GPA if it is based on 1 – 30 credits in the GPA
1.800 cumulative GPA if it is based on 31 – 60 credits in the GPA.
2.000 cumulative GPA if it is based on more than 60 credits in the GPA, and Major GPA must be at least 1.900.
Course Requirements: To earn readmission into an engineering major (see Note 1 above), coursework must be required engineering, math, or science courses for your major (excluding economics and other h/ss type courses): Course Selection Guidelines. If you have questions about your course selection or major eligibility, contact an advisor or dean for advice.
Readmission into an engineering major after a fall dismissal: Depending on your cumulative gpa and number of completed credits (see Note 4 above), 12cr minimum, including 9cr required STEM courses (three 3-4cr courses), between spring and summer, with no more than 8cr in the summer, with a 3.0 gpa, and with a certain cumulative gpa at the time of readmission.
Readmission into an engineering major after a spring dismissal: Depending on your cumulative gpa and number of completed credits (see Note 4 above) it may be possible to complete 6-8cr of required engineering, math, or science courses for your major at RU in the summer with a 3.0 summer gpa (no D's or F's) and be readmitted. The School of Engineering does not endorse students taking more than 8cr in a single summer session. If you choose to take more than the 6cr over the entire summer, you are still held to the 3.0+ (no D/F) requirement. Please choose your courses and courseload carefully and consult with us if there are questions or uncertainties. Alternatively, you can choose to attend community college between summer and fall: totalling 12cr, including 9cr required STEM courses (three 3-4cr courses), no more than 8cr in the summer, with a 3.0 gpa, and with a certain cumulative gpa at the time of readmission.
Readmission Application and Transcripts: The Application for Readmission, due January 1st/June 1st , will be reviewed once we have proof of your final grades.
- Readmission via summer session only (after spring dismissal)*: RU Summer Session - 2 courses (6-8cr), earn a 3.0 (no D’s or F’s; if >6cr taken, 3.0 is still required). Application for Readmission due January 1st/June 1st, see your dismissal notice for details.
- Readmission via county college*: 12cr (including 9cr req’d STEM coursework) between a spring or fall at county college and summer (summer optional), 3.0+ average (no D/F/W), no more than 8cr in summer. Application for Readmission due January 1st/June 1st together with proof of final grades (screen shot of grades including name, unofficial transcript, or official transcript). If you have an official transcript, you can drop it off to the office in the unopened sealed envelope, or have the external institution send it directly here: Office of Academic Services, EN-B100, Rutgers School of Engineering, 98 Brett Road, Piscataway, NJ 08854. Ultimately, an official transcript is required in order to process transfer credits.
Dismissed and want to transfer out of SOE: If a student is dismissed and wants to transfer out and have a certain cumulative gpa (see note 4), and can reasonably reach a cumulative GPA of 2.0 in 14cr, they can be approved to do ONE terminal semester of non-engineering courses in preparation for a transfer out. During this one semester, you cannot take any STEM courses. This is a terminal semester, with no readmission back into SOE. If you take this option, choose to also take summer or winter classes, and do poorly in them (below 2.0), then the terminal non-engineering semester at RU is no longer an option. The qualification requirments also include: the cumulative gpa must be as in Note 4 below, and no D/F grades in prior non-STEM courses. You must meet with a dean or advisor by June 1st for fall, or by the last day to add classes for the spring semester (Jan 30, 2019) to apply for this option (Dean Vargas, Dean Ciervo, Dean Prendergast).
Question 1: What if I will not have the GPA listed above?
Answer 1: You are not eligible for readmission. Our advice is to attend community college with success for 2 semesters and apply to a brand new 4yr school where you would start with a fresh gpa.
Question 2: What happens if I earn C's or better but fall short of 3.0 or if my cumulative or major gpa is less than 2.0 (for pursuing an engineering major) after taking classes for readmission?
Answer 2: Your file will be reviewed in its entirety. You can contact a Dean to review if you have any options.
Question 3: What if I take more than the recommended credits , but don't make the 3.0?
Answer 3: You are still expected to earn a 3.0 gpa if you choose to take more than the recommended credits. If you choose to take more than the recocmended credits, be sure you can handle it. Choose your credit load wisely. If you fall short of the 3.0, you can contact a Dean to review if you have any options..
If you have additional questions about readmission, please email questions to a Dean for advice. Or set up an appointment online. If you have been away from school for 1 semester or more, please contact Dean Prendergast (Email: Lprend @ soe.rutgers.edu)