The primary purpose of readmission is for dismissed students from the School of Engineering to earn their way back into RU by demonstrating that they have addressed areas of weakness, that they have what it takes to succeed in their intended major, and that they have overcome prior challenges that led them to the dismissal. This is accomplished by choosing appropriate courses (see Course Requirements below) and by completing these courses with grades that meet the readmission criteria (3.0+ without D/F grades).
International students who get dismissed have to be admitted immediately for the following fall or spring semester into a community college or other institution, or they have to return to their home country. International students who are dismissed should also check with their ISSS advisors immediately on visa status.
Conditions for Readmission
- Note 1: Readmission into your original engineering major (or into an engineering major at all) is not guaranteed. The complete academic record in STEM courses, major GPA, cumulative GPA, and related academic deficiencies are considered by the Scholastic Standing Committee.
- Note 2: If you were dismissed from SoE and readmitted previously, you are no longer eligible for readmission to RU. Example, if last year you were dismissed and took summer classes at RU (or 1-2 semesters at county college), were readmitted, and have been dismissed again, you would no longer be eligible to come back to RU. In this case, you must look outside of Rutgers for your education.
- Note 3: If you were dismissed from SAS, SEBS, etc, you must earn your way back into Rutgers University through your original school. If you left RU in 'good standing' for 1 semester or more, see the Re-enrollment page.
- Note 4: In order to be eligible for readmission, students must be able to reasonably reach a cumulative GPA of 2.0 with a max of 15cr AND must have a certain minimum Rutgers GPA at the time of readmission:
- 1.600 cumulative GPA if it is based on 1 – 30 credits in the GPA
- 1.800 cumulative GPA if it is based on 31 – 60 credits in the GPA
- 2.000 cumulative GPA if it is based on more than 60 credits in the GPA, and Major GPA must be at least 1.900.
Course Requirements: To earn readmission into an engineering major (see Note 1 above), coursework must be required engineering, math, or science courses for your major (excluding economics and other h/ss type courses): Course Selection Guidelines. If you have questions about your course selection or major eligibility, contact an advisor or dean for advice.
Readmission into an engineering major after a fall dismissal: Depending on your RU cumulative GPA and number of completed credits (see Note 4 above), take 12cr minimum at a community college or another 4yr institution with a 3.0 GPA or better including 9cr required STEM courses (three 3-4cr courses, no D's or F's). You can complete the 12cr between spring and summer. Summer is optional. The School of Engineering does not endorse students taking more than 8cr in one summer session. You must have a minimum RU cumulative GPA at the time of readmission (see Note 4).
Readmission into an engineering major after a spring dismissal: Depending on your cumulative GPA and number of completed credits (see Note 4 above) it may be possible to complete 6-8cr of required STEM courses for your major at during the summer at Rutgers with a 3.0 GPA (no D's or F's) and be readmitted. If you choose to take more than the 6cr over the entire summer, you are still held to the 3.0+ (no D/F) requirement. Please choose your courses and courseload carefully or consult with your advising dean if there are any questions or uncertainties. You can also choose to attend a community college between summer and fall, you must complete 12 or more credits in total, including 9cr required STEM courses (or three 3-4cr courses), no more than 8cr in the summer, with a 3.0 GPA, and with a certain cumulative GPA at the time of readmission (see Note 4).
Dismissed but want to prepare transferring out of SoE: Dismissed students who can reasonably reach a 2.0 cumulative GPA in 14 credits can apply to take non-engineering (001) courses in the follow semester to prepare for transfer. This is a terminal semester, with no readmission back into SoE. During this semester, students cannot take STEM courses. If you take the non-engineering option, choose to also take summer or winter classes, and do poorly in them (below 2.0), then the terminal non-engineering semester at the SoE is no longer an option. To apply for this option, you must meet with a Dean or Advisor during the dismissal advising (refer to your dismissal notice) or submit a readmission application below.
Submit Your Readmission Application and Transcripts from outside of Rutgers
- All applications, due January 1st/June 1st, will be reviewed once the committee have proof of your final grades.
- Download the Readmission Form. You must fill out the form and then upload the form into Application for Readmission site
- Questions, please contact Dean Priscilla Calderon at SoE.
A: You are not eligible for readmission. Our advice is to attend community college with success for 2 semesters and apply to a brand new 4yr school where you would start with a fresh GPA.
A: Your file will be reviewed in its entirety. You can contact a Dean to review if you have any options.
Q: What if I take more than the recommended credits , but don't make the 3.0?
A: You are still expected to earn a 3.0 GPA if you choose to take more than the recommended credits. If you choose to take more than the recommended credits, be sure you can handle it.