RU Summer/Winter Session
Students in good academic standing may register for the Summer or Winter Session at Rutgers in New Brunswick, Newark, or Camden using the Touchtone Telephone Registration System or Webreg. Call the Summer Session office at 848-932-7565 for information and or schedule books. For Summer and for Winter.
- Before registering for any summer or winter session course, a Pre-Authorization form MUST be filled out (see below)
- No Science, Engineeirng, Math, Statistics, or writing courses may be taken on-line.
- No Science, Engineering, Math, Statistics, or writing courses may be taken during the Winter session (with the exception of Intro to Experimentation, 01:160:171)
- Summer courses at Newark/Camden must be pre-approved by a Dean.
- For courses taken at any Rutgers campus, the grade and credit will appear on the transcript and in the GPA.
- It is always recommended that you consult with an adviser before selecting courses, especially if you are going to take courses in Newark or Camden which you wish to use toward your major.
- If you are a dismissed student or otherwise not affiliated with the university, you may take summer courses at RU as a Visiting Student through the Summer Session Office.
- SoE recommends no more than 6-7cr over the summer (2 classes during different sessions). SoE students can only register for max of 9cr in summer.
Community College and Other Institutions
No STEM, writing, or Major courses may be taken on-line. You may take certain courses at another institution over the summer or winter sessions (not during the spring or fall terms) and transfer the credit (not the grade) to be applied towards your Engineering degree at Rutgers. A grade of C or better is required for the credits to be eligible for transfer (the grade does not transfer into the transcript/GPA). SoE recommends no more than 6-7cr over the summer (2 classes during different sessions).
Is The Course Equivalent To The Course At RU-New Brunswick?
To check equivalencies for NJ Community Colleges, go to NJ Transfer/ARTSYS. A screen shot of the course equivalency must be included in the Pre-Authorization form. For simple instructions on using NJTransfer, click HERE.
If you wish to take a course at a 4 yr institution or an institution outside of NJ, the student must attach the course description which can be printed from the school's website, or copied from the course catalog at that school. Attach the course description must be included in the Pre-Authorization form.
- NJ community colleges: Pre-Authorization NJCC
- Rutgers Newark/Camden:Pre-Authorization RUNWK-CMDN.
- Other 4 year schools: Pre-Authorization Other.
Who Pays For The Summer Tuition?
Summer tuition is paid for by the student. Students can check with the Office of Financial Aid to see if there is any funding available for the summer session.
Summer/Winter Courses And Graduation
If a student takes his/her last course(s) outside of RU, the student should be aware that the official transcript must be received by a certain date in order to avoid any delays in graduation date. June 15th (for May graduation), Sept 30th (for October graduation), Jan 31st (for Jan graduation). Please see our graduation webpage for more details.
What happens when the course has been completed?
Once the pre-approved course has been completed and the grade is posted, the student must request (from the external school) to have an Official transcript sent from the external school directly to our office: