Rutgers Summer/Winter Session
Current students in good academic standing may register for Summer or Winter Session at Rutgers in New Brunswick, Newark, or Camden using Webreg. If you are an incoming first-year or transfer student, or if you are a current student but cannot register, please contact your respective advising teams.
- Before registering for any summer or winter session course, you must submit a Pre-Authorization form (see below)
- Summer courses at Newark/Camden must be pre-approved by the advising dean of your class.
- For courses taken at any Rutgers campus, the grade and credit will appear on the transcript and in the GPA.
- It is always recommended that you consult with an adviser before selecting courses, especially if you are going to take courses in Newark or Camden which you wish to use toward your major.
- If you are a dismissed student or otherwise not affiliated with the university, you may take summer courses at RU as a Visiting Student through the Summer Session Office.
- SoE recommends no more than 6-7 credits over the summer (2 classes during different sessions). SoE students can only register for max of 9cr in a summer.
- SoE recommends no more than 3 credits over the winter. No Science, Engineering, Math, Statistics, or writing courses should be taken during the Winter session (with the exception of Intro to Experimentation, 01:160:171 and Scientific & Technical Writing, 01:355:302).
Community College and Other Institutions
You may take certain courses at another institution over the summer or winter sessions (not during the spring or fall terms) and transfer the credit (not the grade) to be applied towards your Engineering degree at Rutgers. A grade of C or better is required for the credits to be eligible for transfer (the grade does not transfer into the transcript/GPA). SoE recommends no more than 6-7cr over the summer (2 classes during different sessions).
If you plan to take one or more classes outside of Rutgers-New Brunswick, please submit the Pre-Authorization Form. Your advising dean will inform you within two weeks about whether the course has been pre-approved.
- For courses from NJ Community Colleges, please refer to NJ Transfer for course equivalencies.
- For courses from out-of-state schools or other 4-year colleges, please make sure to submit the detailed course description or syllabus which can be obtained from the school's website or copied from the course catalog at that school.
- Courses from Rutgers Newark or Camden use different course numbers from Rutgers-New Brunswick, please seek advising if you not sure which courses you need to take. Here is a list of common STEM courses offered at Camden and Newark and their equivalency to the courses at Rutgers-New Brunswick.
Transcript and Course Transfer
Please use email@example.com for electronic transcripts. For physical transcript, please have your official transcript sent to Rutgers School of Engineering directly using the address below. Please notify us via email firstname.lastname@example.org that your transcript has been sent to our office via US Mail.
Summer/Winter Courses And Graduation
If a student takes his/her last course(s) outside of RU, the student should be aware that the official transcript must be received by a certain date in order to avoid any delays in graduation date. June 15th (for May graduation), Sept 30th (for October graduation), Jan 31st (for Jan graduation). Please see our graduation webpage for more details.