Convocation is the graduation event specifically celebrating undergraduate engineering students.
Friday, May 12, 2023 | 3:30 p.m.*
Jersey Mike’s Arena
83 Rockafeller Road, Piscataway, NJ
View Live Stream via WebEx beginning at 3:25 p.m. EST
*Graduating students should arrive no later than 2:45 p.m.
Convocation Event Information
- Graduating students are not required to attend but will not want to miss this festive event.
- Convocation is only for School of Engineering undergraduates. Graduate students (MS, ME, Ph.D.) will be recognized at the Graduate School of New Brunswick event.
- Individual graduates’ names will be read as graduates walk across the stage.
- Registration is not required, and free, unlimited parking will be available (more information on parking below).
- Special seating for individuals with mobility issues is available but the arena does not have wheelchairs.
- There is no limit to how many guests’ graduates may invite – guests do not need tickets nor do they need to register to attend.
- Jersey Mike's Arena doors will open to guests 90 minutes before.
- Graduates will have their photo taken by professional photographers at least four times including a posed photo in front of a RU background (see below for more information).
- Convocation will be live streamed for those who are unable to attend in person. The link will be available closer to the event.
Engineering Department Events
Engineering departments will hold pre-convocation events on the Engineering campus prior to convocation, as scheduled below.
• Biomedical Engineering Noon - 1 pm (Biomedical Engineering Building, Auditorium Room 102)
• Chemical & Biochemical Engineering 1 pm - 2 pm (Richard Weeks Hall of Engineering, Concepts Room 111)
• Civil & Environmental Engineering Noon - 1 pm (Richard Weeks Hall of Engineering, Room 102)
• Electrical & Computer Engineering 1:15 pm - 2:15 pm (Richard Weeks Hall of Engineering, Room 105)
• Industrial & Systems Engineering 1:30 pm - 2:30 pm (Richard Weeks Hall of Engineering, Room 102)
• Materials Science & Engineering 11 am - 12:30 pm (Center for Ceramic Research, Lobby)
• Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
o Aerospace Engineering 11 am – 1:00 pm (Richard Weeks Hall of Engineering, Room 105)
o Mechanical Engineering 11 am – 1:00 pm (Richard Weeks Hall of Engineering, Room 105)
o Packaging Engineering 11 am – 1:00 pm (Richard Weeks Hall of Engineering, Room 105)
- Parking for engineering department events, use Lot 54 on Busch campus or you may park on Livingston Green and Yellow lot adjacent to the Jersey Mike's Arena and take the campus bus (look for the summer bus schedule) from Livingston campus to Busch campus.
- Parking for convocation ceremony at Jersey Mike's Arena, use the Green and Yellow Lots on Livingston campus.
- For special needs parking there will be drop off service in the Green Lot.
- Flowers can be pre-ordered to be picked up inside Jersey Mike's Arena or at the awards festivities starting at 10 a.m. on Busch Campus in front of the Richard Weeks Hall of Engineering building. Visit CommencementFlowers.com.
- Rutgers has partnered with Pro Pics to take professional portraits of all graduates during the ceremony. Photos will be available for purchase after the ceremony. There is no cost to have your photo taken and no obligation to purchase. If you would like to receive your photo proofs, please go to www.RutgersPhotos.com to submit your information. If you have any questions regarding photos, please contact Pro Pics at email@example.com.
- A commemorative T-shirt listing all SoE graduates will be available a week before commencement and can be ordered online.
- There will be a security check at Jersey Mike's Arena. Please review the new Rutgers Athletics Bag Policy. Only clutches and wristlets no larger than 6.5"x 4.5" or clear plastic, vinyl, or PVC bags no larger than 12"x12"x6" will be allowed into Jersey Mike's Arena. Backpacks and large bags/purses are not permitted. Learn more about allowable carry-in items.
Accessibility and Service Animals
- Limited accessible seating is available. This section is on a first-come, first-served basis. Only one family member may sit in the accessible seating area. For questions related to accessibility at the arena, please call 848-445-8535.
- If you require an American Sign Language (ASL) interpreter at the Engineering Convocation on Friday, May 12th, contact us at 848-445-8535.
- Service animals as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) are allowed at the ceremony. All other animals are prohibited from the School of Engineering Convocation and the University Commencement. Visit the ADA website for details.