Tips for Planning Your Day
- Arrive two hours in advance of the ceremony to allow enough time to park and get to your event location. Look at our Commencement and Convocations page to identify when and where all of your events will take place, as well as parking and shuttle locations.
- Don't forget to bring your special hangtag to park on campus if attending University Commencement on Sunday May 17th. No parking hang tag needed on Friday May 15th to attend the School of Engineering Convocation ceremony, however if attending the Schools activities that start at 10:00am on Busch campus you have the option of parking on Busch Campus in lot 54, spend the day on Busch Campus then drive to Livingston Campus Yellow lot for the 3:30pm School Convocation or you may park all day on Livingston Campus in the yellow lot and take the campus bus (look for summer schedule) to Busch for the days activities. Check our Parking section for more information.
As traffic volume will be heavy on Sunday May 17th, please allow additional travel time. We recommend that you carpool or consider taking public transportation to campus.
School of Engineering departmental award ceremonies for graduates and their friends and family on Friday May15th from 11:30am - 2:15pm (see here for department schedules)
THE GRADUATES MUST BE LINED UP FOR THE ENGINEERING CONVOCATION on Friday May 15th AND READY TO GO NO LATER THAN 2:45pm.
Be certain to wear comfortable shoes for the days activities. Expect moderate walking. Know that the venues have concrete flooring and steps.
School of Engineering Convocation Parking information.
There will be a security check at the stadium and the RAC. Please review the new Rutgers Athletics Bag Policy. Only clutches and wristlets no larger than 6.5"x 4.5" or clear plastic, vinyl, or PVC bags no larger than 12"x12"x6" will be allowed into the stadium and the RAC. Backpacks and large bags/purses are not permitted. Learn more about allowable carry-in items.
PARENTS & GUESTS: ATTENTION THERE WILL BE NO BALLOONS ALLOWED IN THE LOUIS BROWN ATHLETIC CENTER (RAC)
For celebratory dinners after the Convocation it is suggested that dinner reservations be made for 7:00pm but 6:30pm would work also (Convocation ceremony ideally should be over by 5:30pm)
- Special Needs Seating Information at the RAC: Upon arrival at the stadium and/or RAC, limited handicapped seating is available. This section is on a first-come, first-served basis. Only one family member may sit in the special needs area. For questions related to special needs parking at University Commencement, please contact 848-932-2469.
- Hearing Impaired: an American Sign Language (ASL) interpreter will be provided at the Engineering Convocation on Friday May 15th only if you contact us at 848 445-8535. For the University Commencement on Sunday May 17th an American Sign Language (ASL) interpreter will be provided. For questions related to special-needs accommodations at University Commencement, contact us at 848-932-2469.
- Service Animals: Service animals as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) are allowed at the ceremony. All other animals are prohibited from the School of Engineering Convocation and the University Commencement. Visit the ADA website for details.
- Indoor and Off-Site Viewing Options: Take advantage of these indoor viewing options for University Commencement on May 17th:
- Live Streaming Webcast: View University Commencement online from this website on May 17 and Engineering Convocation on May 15. A high-speed internet connection, such as cable or fiber optic network, is recommended.
- Indoor Viewing at Student Centers: Watch University Commencement from the comfort of indoor viewing rooms at the Busch Student Center, Livingston Student Center, or College Avenue Student Center. Situated indoors, guests can enjoy watching a live stream of University Commencement and the School of Arts and Sciences Convocation in the comfort of air conditioning and cushioned seats, and remain out of the sun and weather. Restrooms and limited concessions will be open. Curbside drop-off to any of these student centers is available as well. No tickets are required, and seating is general admission.
Restaurants and Eateries
NEW BRUNSWICK RESTAURANTS AND EATERIES
Nearby Highland Park is known for its specialty dining, dessert shops, ice-cream parlors, and wifi-equipped cafés.
NEW BRUNSWICK AND PISCATAWAY HOTELS
Most of the Rutgers–New Brunswick Campus is located in the city of New Brunswick and the town of Piscataway.
OTHER NEARBY HOTELS
Hotels in these nearby towns also offer easy access to Rutgers–New Brunswick.
Guests: This years ceremony will be at the Louis Brown Athletic Center (RAC) at 3:30pm. An invitation is NOT needed to gain access.
- Seating: Seating for the Convocation is provided for faculty and graduates only. All others are on a first come first served basis.
- Flowers: Family and Friends can pre-order flowers to be ready and pick them up at the graduation as you walk in the doors of the Louis Brown Athletic Center for the big day or at the awards festivities starting at 10:00am on Busch Campus in front of the Richard Weeks Hall of Engineering building! Just go to CommencementFlowers.com, PLEASE MAKE SURE TO TELL THEM WHEN ORDERING, YOUR CEREMONY TIME AND LOCATION (3:30pm Louis Brown Athletic Center - RAC).
- Photos: Guests will not be permitted to approach the platform area for the purpose of taking pictures while the ceremony is in progress and the graduating students are on the stage. A professional photographic studio (Chappell - Grad Images) will take pictures of all graduates as they receive their diploma. They will email proofs to the students just a few days after graduation and you can place your order online, by telephone or mail. GradImages may be contacted at 800-261-2576 or www.gradimages.com. Grad Images will also be around taking pictures at the days festivities starting at 10:00am on Busch campus in front of the Richard Weeks Hall of Engineering building.
- Commemorative T-Shirt Advance Orders: Pre-order a commemorative T-shirt and have them shipped to your home, please fill out THIS FORM and follow instructions. NOTE shirts are not available for shipping until the week before Commencement, as we do not have the final list of potential graduates until we are close to the event – inclusion on the shirt does not guarantee that a student has completed all requirements for graduation! Pre-order a Commemorative T-shirt today
- Food & Beverages at the Louis Brown Athletic Center: Food will not be permitted in the Athletic Center. Food and beverages maybe purchased outside of the Athletic Center.