1902: The country passes the clay-working and ceramics act, establishing a ceramics department at Rutgers College. The department would later become the Department of Materials Science and Engineering. The College erected the Ceramics building next to the school buildings on what is now known as the historic College Avenue campus. It contained a workshop, store-room, kiln-room, classroom, office and lab.
1903: Rutgers Scientific School establishes a Department of Electrical Engineering.
1908: Murray Hall, the engineering building in New Brunswick is erected.
Civil Engineering Club established as an undergraduate technical society.
1908: Rutgers Scientific School establishes a Department of Mechanical Engineering.
1909: Rutgers College President William Demarest erects a building for engineering at Voorhees Mall. Designed by Rutgers alumni Douwe D. Williamson (Class of 1870) and Frederick P. Hill (Class of 1883), the $70,000 building was supported by a gift of $25,000 from Andrew Carnegie.
1914: Rutgers College Board of Trustees decides to separate engineering from Rutgers College. They appoint Alfred A. Tistworth, Rutgers Scientific School alumnus and professor, the first dean of the College of Engineering.