1766: The all-male institution Queen’s College opens in New Brunswick, NJ.
1825: The institution changes its name from Queen’s College to Rutgers College.
1853: The first engineer associated with Rutgers, John Bogart, graduates with a Bachelor of Arts. He later serves as the New York State Engineer and Surveyor from 1888 to 1891.
1862: President Lincoln passes the Morrill Land Grant Act of 1862, providing the State of New Jersey with land to house an institution specialized in engineering, agricultural sciences and military services. After much debate with Princeton University, the State of New Jersey gives the land to Rutgers College.
1864: The Rutgers College Board of Trustees organizes its new institution, Rutgers Scientific School, under the direction of Professor George H. Cook. The admission requirements were arithmetic, algebra, English grammar and geography. The curriculum focused on civil engineering and electricity.
1868: Edward Bowser is among the first graduating class; he was first hired as tutor in mathematics and engineering, and became an adjunct professor in 1870. When Major Kellogg resigned the next year, Bowser was promoted to Professor of Mathematics and Civil Engineering, retiring in 1904. He was the surveyor on the 1872 Cook-Murray-Bowser team, whose survey fixed the land boundary between NY and NJ. Appropriately, the road on Busch campus connecting the Mathematics and Engineering parking lots is named Bowser Road.