Scholarships for New Students

Incoming first-year students


  • University Merit-Aid Scholarships (Scarlet, Carr, Trustees, Henry Rutgers, Presidential, etc.): $3,500 - $26,750 per academic year.  
  • Students can receive Merit-Aid Scholarships for up to 4 years. The scholarships are for students pursing Bachelor's degrees only.  
  • Visit Rutgers Admissions for more information on merit-aid scholarships or other scholarship awards available to the incoming first-year students.


  • Merit-Aid Scholarships are awarded independently by each school within the Rutgers system. Each school has a different standard. 
  • Merit-Aid Scholarships are very competitive at the School of Engineering due to the high profile of our applicant pool.

Application and Timeline

  • Admitted first-year students to the School of Engineering applied before December 1st are considered for University Merit-Aid Scholarships. 
  • All first-year applicants are considered for Merit-Aid scholarships. No separate application is required
  • Merit-Aid Scholarships are awarded to the incoming first-year students before February each year.

Criterion for Renewal

  • Merit-Aid Scholarships are automatically renewed each year; students do not need to submit a scholarship application for the renewal.
  • Scholarship recipients must remain full-time (taking 12 or more credits each semester and complete 24 or more credits each academic year) and must pursue a BS degree in Engineering at Rutgers.
  • Students must maintain the required academic standing set by each scholarship.  Please visit the scholarship page at the Office of Financial Aid for the detailed requirement and additional stipulation on the renewal of Merit-Aid Scholarships.
  • For students in the 5-year BS/MS program, Merit-Aid Scholarships can only cover the undergraduate portion for up to 4 years.  The scholarships can not be extended to the 5th year when students start their graduate studies full time.  For the 5th year, students can apply for scholarships or financial support through the Graduate School

Merit-Aid Scholarship Appeal

  • Students who cannot meet the renewal criterion listed above will not receive the merit-aid scholarship for the following academic year.  The notifications of denial will be sent to the students by Rutgers Office of Financial Aid via email in late June or early July each year. 
  • Students can appeal for reinstatement once they can improve their cumulative GPA to 3.0 or better (or 3.25 for Presidential Scholarship).  Please reach out to Dean Peng Song ( @ once you are eligible to submit an appeal. If all the renewal criteria are met, then your merit aid scholarship will be reinstated in the following academic year.

New transfer students from another school at Rutgers-New Brunswick

  • University merit-aid scholarships (Scarlet, Carr, Trustees, Henry Rutgers, Presidential, etc.) are not automatically transferable from one school to another, because merit-aid scholarships are awarded independently by each school based on different award criterion.
  • School of Engineering honors the merit-aid award that students were eligible to receive base on the School of Engineering standard at the time of their admission to Rutgers. Since Engineering may have a higher standard for merit-based awards, school-to-school transfer students may lose their scholarships or qualify for a different award with a reduced amount. 
  • After completing one semester of full-time study in an engineering major matriculating at the School of Engineering, transfer students are eligible to apply for the SoE endowed scholarships for continuing students

New transfer students from outside of Rutgers-New Brunswick

  • Rutgers offers scholarships to a select number of newly admitted external transfer students. Transfer student scholarships are competitive awards and are based on the academic strength of individual applicants, the overall strength of our applicant pool and available funding. No separate application is required.  Visit Rutgers Admissions for more information on available scholarships for new external transfer students.
  • After completing one semester of full-time study in an engineering major matriculating at the School of Engineering, transfer students are eligible to apply for the SoE endowed scholarships for continuing students