Academic Requirements for Graduation

Graduation requirements: Students have to fulfill specific gpa and curricular requirements for graduation. If you have not seen your updated check off sheet that is maintained by the Office of Academic Affairs (B100), please stop in B100 and pick up a copy.

After reviewing this document in its entirety for accuracy and completeness, you can then contact Dean Prendergast wtih any questions or concerns about it. Seniors must also review and return a Graduation Check-List (in the beginning of the senior-fall semester for most students). For further information, please contact Dean Prendergast .

Note: While students are able to consult the Degree Navigator system, an online tool that provides curricular information, there are inconsistencies in the system and it should NOT be used to represent your official record of progress toward your degree. That official record is your curriculum check-off sheet which is maintained in your academic file in the Office of Academic Affairs, B100. You may request a copy of your curriculum check-off sheet at any time.

2015 Grad list - TBD

Ceremony Info: Invitations, Cap/Gown, Honors Cords, Parking, etc.

Taking courses after graduation
: Once all requirements for the B.S. degree, the student must graduate. The graduation date cannot be arbitrarily changed. Only in certain circumstances can the graduation date be extended from fall to spring. If a student would have graduated after the fall semester and can document an academic plan to finish a second major, minor, or Packaging certificate in the spring, the graduation date can be extended from January until May, no further. Students in this situation should send their academic graduation plan to Dean Prendergast. Otherwise, students can take courses after graduating as a non-matriculated student. As a non-matric, grades do not count in the gpa. 

Diploma application:  Students MUST complete the online Diploma Application by the deadline. The online Diploma Application and deadlines are found at:*. Filling out this form does not take place of verifying with Dean Prendergast in B100 that you are on track to graduate. Failure to complete the Diploma Application will result in a delay in degree posting. 

Name Pronounciation*
If your name is pronounced differently than it's spelled, include the phonetic spelling on the Diploma Application (there is a spot for it).  If one name is easy, but the other isn't, include a spelling for both names.  Example: Name "Jacob Marchese", phonetic spelling "Jacob Mar-Kay-Zee". Do not include instructions like: Brine sounds like whine, as each of these entries has to be reviewed and modified for incomplete and unusable text.  

Permanent Mailing Address:  Please update your permanent mailing address prior to graduation at Once you graduate and/or are not taking courses at RU, you may not be able to access the site.  The information in the Diploma Application and your Permanent address will be used in the printing and mailing of your diploma.

Graduation dates: Although there is only one graduation ceremony in May, there are three possible times each year to complete your degree requirements at Rutgers School of Engineering.  October, January, and May grads are automatically included in the ceremony.

  • May Grads: Students who complete their degree requirements in the spring semester have a May graduation date. Students who have any grades or transcripts submitted after June 15th will NOT be processed as a May graduate (except for students on co-op or study abroad in the final semester). In this case, see October graduation information below.
  • January Grads: Students who complete their degree requirements in the fall semester or winter session have a January graduation date. Students who have any grades or transcripts submitted after January 31st will NOT be processed as a January graduate (except for students on co-op or study abroad in the final semester), see May graduation above.
  • October Grads: Students who complete their degree requirements in the summer session have an October graduation date. Students who have any grades or transcripts submitted after September 30th will NOT be processed as a October graduate (except for students on co-op or study abroad in the final semester), see January graduation above.

Diplomas at graduation: At graduation, when you walk across the stage, you will be handed an empty diploma case.  After a few pictures are taken, someone will collect the diploma case from you.  The actual diploma is mailed from the Registrar at another time. The mailing address is based on the information you provide in the Diploma Application.  

All students must complete a Diploma Application and update the permanent mailing address so that the diploma lists your name correctly and is mailed to the appropriate place.  After all requirements have been completed and all grades, transcripts, etc. have been received and processed, your degree will be posted on the RU transcript in June (September or January for October and January grads). 

Degree Verification and Transcripts
Once the degree is posted to the transcript, the official transcript, noting the completed degree, can be ordered from the Registrar. The Registrar will handle diploma distribution (in the way indicated on the Diploma Application). Note, all holds (see holds below) must be cleared before a transcript or diploma can be issued.  

Rutgers University, Office of the Registrar, 65 Davidson Road, ASB-200B,Piscataway, NJ 08854-8096 - Telephone: (848) 445-7000 - Internet:  - Email:

Holds: It is your responsibility to check whether you have a hold on your account for any reason. If you have a hold, you will NOT receive your diploma. You may check with the Registrar, ASB, Busch (848-445-4111) prior to May 1st to find out if there is a hold against your name. No amount is too small for your diploma to be withheld: unpaid parking tickets, a library book, immunization, unpaid tuition or fees. CLEAR ALL HOLDS NOW!!

Grade Changes/Transfer Credits: Grade changes and awards of transfer credits for semesters other than the Spring semester must be submitted by May 1st in order to be processed in time for graduation. Students who have any grades or transcripts submitted after June 15th will NOT be processed as a May graduate (except for students on co-op or studey abroad in the final semester). If you anticipate any delays, you should contact the Office of Academic Affairs-Room B100, or inform Dean Prendergast by email or in person during office hours.

Minors and Second Majors: If you have completed or will be completing a minor or second major (non-engineering major), you MUST fill out a Certification of Minor/Major form in order to get credit for the minor (ie post the major/minor on your transcript). Minors and second majors appear on the transcript only, not on the diploma. There are not other certificates or methods of recognition for minors/double majors other than the transcript and whatever you choose to post on your resume.

Marching: If you do NOT complete all degree requirements by the day of Graduation, it may still be possible to participate in the commencement ceremony as a MARCHER. Marchers wear cap and gown, go up on stage, and receive a diploma case (just like the actual graduates do). In order to be eligible to participate in graduation as a MARCHER, you must submit a Permission to March application and you must meet the following criteria:

  •  2.0+ gpa in major and overall by the end of the fall semester. 
  •  No more than 9 credits remaining after spring semester.
  •  If taking fall courses - no more than 1 major course (M prefix); no more than 7 credits to complete the B.S. degree.

A Permission to March Application can be submitted between spring break and April 15th to have your name appear in the program. Complete the form, and return to B100 for approval. You will be notified via email if you are approved or denied.

SPECIAL NOTICE TO SENIORS: Past experience indicates that there will be many seniors who, for some reason or another, will not complete all of your degree requirements as scheduled. I want you to understand now that if there are any problems with the actual completion of your degree which would prevent inclusion of your name on the official graduation list, you will be notified by letter to your email address the week after graduation. Since diplomas are no longer given out at graduation, the main issue is to complete the requirement for the official receipt of degree/diploma.  If you should receive an email, respond to the email (or come to the Office of Academic Affairs) to correct the problem, or make arrangements for deferring your graduation date to October or later.