History

Engineering at Rutgers dates back to 1864 with the establishment of the Rutgers Scientific School which, by action of the state legislature that same year, became the land-grant college of the State of New Jersey.
Brevet Major Josiah Holcomb Kellogg, an 1860 graduate of West Point, was the first professor of engineering. The initial program, primarily civil engineering, produced a graduating class of seven in 1868. In 1902, an act of the state legislature established a ceramics department, and the first professor of electrical engineering was appointed in 1903, In 1908 the Department of Mechanical Engineering was organized.
The College of Engineering as a coordinate division of the University was created in 1914, and the Engineering Experiment Station (now known as the Bureau of Engineering Research) was established in 1926.
Rutgers was designated The State University of New Jersey by acts of the New Jersey Legislature in 1945 and 1956. In 1999, the College of Engineering was renamed to the School of Engineering to reflect the comprehensive nature of our programs.